Search This Blog

Monday, September 12, 2011

Day 88 & 89: Route 66 to the Hollywood Bowl

for September 10, 2011

I am thankful to have arrived in LA after the road trip! This trip has brought me many truths, some surprising, some painful, and some expected. I was surprised to discover how I am optimistic now. A few times, I got into discussions with folks about how life is tough, the predicament of the world we live in today, and the difficulties facing a younger generation coming up to take the reins. I realized that I have a profoundly different outlook than I used to hold. I'm not sure if some of this comes from living with a laidback Aussie surfer for 3 years, from working hard on gratitude through the Gratitude Project, or quite what - maybe a combination of these things. But I recognize that yes, I face difficulties, but that I am more optimistic than I used to be. Being sad or defeated about the situation will not help me to overcome it, and I have discovered that if you look hard enough for the silver lining, it is always there. And you'll usually have a better time of it if you keep a positive outlook.

On Saturday, I woke up and went for a dip in the Route 66 pool in our hotel, and then we got a bit of a late start but pulled into LA around 3:30p. It felt great! Bruno, who was loose in the car, kept coming up to sniff the air coming through the vents. He was born here - I adopted him when I lived here previously - and he recognized home, too.




When I got to the apartment, Alex and Stephen had left a bouquet of flowers, along with a really sweet card and a great cd, a box of corn flakes, and some milk in the fridge. On the kitchen counter, there were two bowls and spoons. My heart overflowed - it was so kind, and I felt like I was home. I am so profoundly thankful to be here. I am so incredibly grateful that I met Alex on my first day of college, and that we have remained close. He is such a blessing in my life, and I am glad that he has found a wonderful partner in Stephen who appreciates him and cherishes him too. And how lucky am I that these two amazing friends live 10 minutes north of me?


for September 11th, 2011


What a tough day. It is hard to imagine what it would have been like in my second city ten years ago on that horrific day. I am profoundly grateful for my three years in that most incredible of cities. I love New York.

I am also grateful to be here - Maegan and I went to a concert at the Hollywood Bowl, with Neko Case and the National. I was so excited to see two of my favorites playing in one night! And at the Bowl, which is a gorgeous outdoor amphitheater that you can bring picnics and wine into. It was so beautiful to listen to such incredible musicians, outdoors in the Hollywood Hills under the light of the full moon. I felt life slowly entering back into me, with each chord and key I breathed more deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment