Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

Day 80: Morris, IL, to Omaha, NE

Today I'm grateful to be in a house, not a hotel. We made it from Morris, Illinois, across Iowa to Omaha, Nebraska, where my parents live right now.

This morning I got up and got in the pool. Any day that begins with getting in a body of water, even if manmade, is a good day! The drive was much easier than yesterday's blockbuster 550-mile day. We crossed the Mississippi River - so now we are officially West! There was also less traffic, which I am of course grateful for; I could spend more time taking in the quaint farms, soybean and cornfields, and prairie silos of Iowa.

Cheapest gas: $3.49, Iowa City, IA
Werner truck: spotted, am only!
Best Iowa fashion: Bermuda shorts, T-shirt, no helmet, all-gold motorcycle

Tomorrow my sister comes! Incredibly excited. And happy to be back in Omaha - which is, after all, my birthplace. It seems appropriate to bring up TS Eliot's "Little Gidding," one of the Four Quartets, as it's often on my mind these days:

"With the drawing of this Love and the voice of this Calling,
We shall not cease from exploration
and the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time."

No comments:

Post a Comment