Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day 78: Leaving NYC


Today's gratitude is slightly different, because it's gratitude from the road. So it's the usual gratitude post, but I want to include some of the journey that I'm on at the moment. Wait, haven't I already been including you in my journey? Yes, loved ones, but now the physical journey matches the emotional!

Today I'm grateful for things falling into place, even when it's completely chaotic! I got about four hours of sleep last night before getting up to finalize everything before movers arrived at 9am. Then before you know it, it was time to hand Henry back the keys.






I will miss our lovely little Sunset Park apartment. And the view from the living room window: a tree grows in Brooklyn. And it's beautiful, and it was home for a long time.



I will miss New York.



We crossed three state lines today (NY-NJ-PA), the Delaware River, passed the Little League Museum and the highest point on I-80 east of the Mississippi (2250 ft), and drove through the "wilds of PA," which look like a Bierstadt painting and are incredibly idyllic - so bucolic, so peaceful. We got to DuBois, PA, as the sun was setting and managed a quick dip in the pool before it closed at 9p. I'm excited to take a dip in the morning before we hit the road, headed for Ohio. Our goal for tomorrow is Joliet, Illinois.






Today I also came across a quotation from Adrienne Rich, one of my favorite poets:
"No one who survives to speak
new language, has avoided this:
the cutting-away of an old force that held her
rooted to an old ground - "

Here's to the new force.

No comments:

Post a Comment