Search This Blog

Monday, August 22, 2011

Day 69: Moments of Truth



Today I had a moment - well, a period of time - where I felt the heartbeat of life. It sounds cheesy, but driving home from meeting my friend Jailee at Earl's, the night was so clear and I was skimming along the BQE southbound, listening to really upbeat music. There's this part where the road hugs the Brooklyn waterfront, north of the Atlantic St exit, and you're right over the piers and the park and all of lower Manhattan is just floating there. And I had this moment where I realized, I came here, I did this, this is a piece of me now - and I can be proud of that. Not everyone is able to up & move to one of the greatest cities in the world! It takes guts. I did it, though. And it will always be part of me; I am richer for these three years. I felt in these moments how I am taking New York with me, how this experience was at once bounded in these three years but also continuing, living on, in my heart and my memory and in who I am now. I am not the same girl who arrived here in August 2008 - I'm a better version of her. I can be proud of that, because I did the hard work of transforming and I let New York in, but I am also grateful to have lived here.

I heart NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment