Search This Blog

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day 40: the joy of the purge!

I knew I'd be leaving this apartment in Sunset Park regardless - earlier in the year I thought I might move up to Park Slope, but now it's back to California. So I had started to go through my clothes and books and get rid of things - moving offers such a lovely chance to purge, the sensation of starting over again. I don't feel like I'm starting over afresh, completely, because I have lived in LA before, and because, well...I take me with me wherever I go (and the cats too!) so I'm not starting from scratch. But it was definitely time to get rid of the clothes from when I was bigger, the bank statements from accounts I no longer have, the clothes I never wear, and the books I had on the shelf just to impress people. A few weeks ago I went through all the medications and makeup in the bathroom and threw out everything expired, or that I couldn't remember purchasing within the past 6 months. That was pretty gross.

Today I FINALLY took the 4 bags of clothes I was discarding (that had been sitting next to the door where I placed them to indiscreetly remind myself to cart them off) to the clothes donation box. Oh how grateful I am to be rid of them! And hopeful that they will find a new life with someone else!

Purge tally so far:
5 accordion files of documents -> 1 accordion file
-4 bags of clothes, shoes, and old purses
acres (ok, only 3 trash bags) of shredded articles -> pdfs
-2 bags of old makeup

Up next:
Facebook!
E-file condensing -> external hard drive
And food...

No comments:

Post a Comment