Search This Blog

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day 32: Bicycles & Big-Box Stores

I went on a long bike ride, first to the gym (where, I should also note, I am grateful for my physical health) and then up to Atlantic Center. In my three years of being in New York City, I have to say I have only rarely shopped at big box stores. I've been in Century 21 several times (of course), but I haven't been to a Kmart or a Target. There's the Kmart on Astor Place, but New York in general doesn't have the space to allow for big box stores, and I haven't missed them.



So when we went to Target at Atlantic Terminal, it was kind of like a mini-vacation, in a very bizarre capitalist way. I went to Target routinely when I lived in LA (West Hollywood, La Brea and Santa Monica) and the Northgate Target in Seattle. But even though I transfer at Atlantic-Pacific all the time on the subway, I have never been in the building above it. While I don't plan to shop at big-box stores all the time, I was reminded of how nice it is to be able to buy more than 2 rolls of paper towels at once. I'm looking forward to being back in LA where I can have a car and some storage space - and not have to ride home from Target with paper towels and mattress pads on my bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment