Search This Blog

Friday, July 22, 2011

Day 37: Salt

for July 21, 2011
(tardy - apologies)

I LOVE salt.
Whether it's on bagels (which I am super grateful to have eaten a salt bagel from Surfside Bagels in Rockaway Beach today, it's a pleasure I rarely allow myself):


or it's the ocean.

(For the record, I was at Rockaway Beach last night - NOT pictured above - and took a lovely video for the purposes of this blog but can't get the video off my phone, so for now I am replacing it with an image of Tampa, FL. Please know that Florida beaches are so much cleaner - and the water so much clearer - than Rockaway.)

According to Wikipedia, trusted news source, "Salt is a necessity of life and was a mineral that was used since ancient times in many cultures as a seasoning, a preservative, a disinfectant, a component of ceremonial offerings, and as a unit of exchange. The Bible contains numerous references to salt. In various contexts, it is used metaphorically to signify permanence, loyalty, durability, fidelity, usefulness, value, and purification." In Japanese Shinto religion, salt is used in ritual purification. That so many cultures worldwide value salt is fascinating to me - I need to read Mark Kurlansky's Salt: A World History, I think! Salt is certainly an essential in my kitchen cabinet, whatever other crazy trendy spices rotate through there. But whether I am consuming salt as my favorite bagel flavor, or observing the beauty of it in the ocean, I love salt, and I am drawn to building in myself the qualities attached to it: loyalty, durability, fidelity, usefulness, purification.

No comments:

Post a Comment