Search This Blog

Friday, July 6, 2012

Day 382-385: New Horizons

Day II.17 (382) - Monday July 2, 2012
I just flipped back through my posts - I am going to cheat, and share something I'm grateful for and didn't post (I can't believe it slipped my mind, but hey).

I got invited to present my master's research at a conference at NYU Abu Dhabi this coming December. All expenses paid. I can't believe it. I get accepted to present at conferences fairly frequently so that part is fine, but to have an institution pay to fly me internationally to a conference? To the place I've been writing about for three years now but have yet to visit?

Indescribably exciting.

Also, you know when you start going down the right path, it can be tough at first but then so many things line up and open up and just burst into blossom and you are so validated and your heart is full of joy and contentment and satisfaction? Yes, that.


Day II.18 (383) - Tuesday, July 3, 2012
I did three circuits of the Culver City stairs. At the end of two (my normal count), I was tired. But then I saw a girl who had already done two as well (we had crossed paths), and she was going for a third. So I went too. Because if that girl can do it, so can I.

Competitiveness is not very Buddhist, or in line with the values of generosity, gratitude, and holding oneself to one's own rubric. But for me, I am grateful and encouraged by seeing the tremendous acts of power, strength, or freedom of others. In doing great things, others liberate me - give me permission - to push myself farther, to grow, to try something new.

So I did three circuits. My legs were shaking when I got to the bottom on the third go. But I did it. My body did it. I love being strong. I love challenging myself. So thank you, redheaded girl in the pink shirt, for stretching my horizon of the possible.


Day II.19 (384) - Wednesday, July 4, 2012
I'm grateful to be a citizen of this country. Yes, she has her flaws, but she's a great nation. And we have the power, the voice, to hold her accountable to be better, more inclusive, to be more fair, more just. Happy birthday, America!

Day II.20 (385) - Thursday, July 5, 2012


I have just discovered Ellie Goulding (LOVE), and this song has just struck a chord with me and my experience, my place right now. I am excited for what the future brings. As Emily Dickinson wrote, "I dwell in possibility." And, "Hope is the thing with feathers / That perches in the soul." Right now, there are feathers in my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment