Search This Blog

Friday, April 13, 2012

Day 301 - 303: Rains

LA styled by rain looks like this:


Day 301 - April 11, 2012

After a stellar weekend of sunshine, a storm has hit the Southland.
Here's Balloona Creek, which actually looks like a creek for once.



Not only does this weather make me appreciate the nice weather all the more, it's a reminder that balance in all things is at times uncomfortable but necessary.

Day 302 - Thursday, April 12, 2012

Today was a bit of a rainy, dreary day. In order to best use up some of my leftovers, I tossed some broccoli, chickpeas and feta over some orecchiette for dinner. Then, to use up the zucchini, I made Zucchini Spice Bread. It came out pretty lovely!
I tried to put a line of walnuts down the center to make it look all gourmet and arty. Would-be bakers, a note: walnuts are heavier than this baking mix and sink into it. So there are random walnuts floating in this zucchini loaf, an accidental surprise treat for the consumer.



Day 303 - April 13, 2012

Today I was an idiot and tried to beat the weather (how might one do this? how does one "beat" the weather?). This was not particularly well thought out. I know from numerous volksmarches in my childhood that the saying, "Just because it's raining here doesn't mean it's raining there!" is stupid and naively wishful thinking. No. It's raining there too. It doesn't matter where there is. Put your sweatpants on and curl up with some tea and soup, and keep your idiot self inside.
Instead, I biked to work in the rain. It wasn't raining when I left my little apartment, but as soon as I got a reasonable distance away (ie, far enough that my pride wouldn't allow me to turn around and just drive to work like a normal person) it started pouring. Luckily I had my trusty rainjacket on and Emile's generous birthday gift of a Timbuk2 bike bag is waterproof, but there's not much to say for your pride when your Keds are soaked and your toes inside freezing, your jeans clinging to your goosebumped legs, and water is dripping off your helmet into your eyes causing you to blink like a strobe light.
In trying to shoehorn this experience into something grateful, I can honestly say I'm grateful for:
a). Coworkers that say, "The weather is crap. Let's order pizza for lunch." Heck yes.
b). Coworkers that own trucks, take pity on your miserable appearance, and offer to drive you & your bike home (without laughing at you openly). Thank you Vivian.
c). Friday nights with nothing planned except sweatpants, wine, and movies.

Until c) starts, stay dry, my friends!

1 comment:

  1. love you, schwesty. you're so amazing!

    enjoy a much-deserved winemoviesweats night! xoxo

    ReplyDelete