Search This Blog

Friday, December 30, 2011

Day 198: Life is blooming!

For Thursday, December 29

This morning I woke up in my own lovely bed, sandwiched by two fat kittens. There is a tree in my backyard that I had thought was grapefruit (which I don't like the taste of), and so I had been happy to see it bloom but thinking, who is going to eat all these grapefruits?

Well, I awoke this morning to discover, after a week away, that it is not a grapefruit tree.



I woke up early (jet lag, don't worry, it won't happen much longer!) and went out and picked two bagfuls of oranges. What a lovely way to wake up! Also if you live in LA, fair warning that you will likely get some oranges from me soon.

It was also a poignant lesson, though, too: sometimes things look like they're not going to turn out, but you have to give them time to grow and ripen and become what they are meant to be, without pushing them. And that what you sow, you will reap.

After a glorious long hike with a friend in Griffith Park, I went with my friends Vernon & Ashley to the Mr Brainwash art show, held in an abandoned industrial space off La Brea & Santa Monica. I liked the messages of the works, which are all playful and teasing or outright satirical about American consumer culture. Hence the show's location, that they didn't charge admission, and that they handed out free posters. This kind of art defies museology - everything is touchable, there are no guards, there is music - it's art, demystified, accessible.



But you see, life is beautiful. And it always finds a way to wend itself through the cracks and the wreckage to become something beautiful and lovely - if you can let it.

No comments:

Post a Comment