Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 14: Orange Lilies, Raymond Carver, and Poet Friends



(who do not know they are poets and those who know they are...)

Today I came across these delightful orange lilies, and Carver. In rereading Raymond Carver's All of Us, I came across this quotation from Czeslaw Milosz, cited by fellow poet and Carver's wife Tess Gallagher: "When it hurts we return to the banks of certain rivers."

Then I come upon this fragment: "Happiness. It comes on
unexpectedly. And goes beyond, really,
Any early morning talk about it."
-Happiness by Ray Carver

And I am thankful too for meeting friends from different walks of life, not trying to make them best friends, but truly good friends, and for one who asked me the question, "So what do you need? Shall I give you permission to go after your own happiness?"

How delightful the alignment of Ray Carver, the poet of ordinary things put in extraordinary phrases, and my friend who is a poet, unrealizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment