Search This Blog

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Music Review: DamFunk



E, Jahi, and I attended the DamFunk concert put on by RocksOff Cruises last Saturday night. We boarded the boat around 7pm from 42nd and West Side Highway, and the boat left the dock around 8pm. This gave us a bit of time to adjust ourselves to the rocking of the boat (it's usually fine, but the big waves...whoa). After the opening act, DamFunk came on. DamFunk is more than a DJ, and he came out singing into the crowd whose dancing pulsed the boat along with the waves. His music is a fusion of techno and new wave music with old-school funk, updating great beats and grooves from the 60s and 70s with a modern, crisp, memorable sound. DamFunk mixed smoothly, transitioning from one beat to the next seamlessly, at times singing or playing the keyboard as well, joining the audience and then returning to the dj enclave. The music kept everyone dancing for nearly two hours, when I confess my feet gave out on me and I had to extricate myself from the sweaty throng and find a seat along the edge of the boat. I can't quite complain about it, as we cruised past the Statue of Liberty and up the west side of Manhattan with all the buildings lit up. New York City is so strikingly gorgeous and monumental, in a way that I forget in my daily life in order to accomplish things...but yeah. I'm lucky to be here, lucky to be dancing on a Saturday night on a boat cruising the NYC harbor.

The problem with concerts on a boat is that you're on the boat with these people for a certain period of time and can't leave. At the same time, the coolest thing about a boat concert is that you're on a boat!



(These pictures were taken by a Metromix photographer, who after he took these handed me a sticker reading "You've been flashed" and the Metromix website).

No comments:

Post a Comment