Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Food: Rico's Tacos





E & I finally got up the nerve to go try Rico's Tacos. We had heard rumors it was good, but the odd mural of a smiling pig being boiled alive and the shabby exterior of the joint had served as deterrents thus far.

It has long been my belief that the tackier the decor, the better the ethnic food. And Rico's adheres to this rule. The building is definitely run down, but when you pay $1.50 for a delicious taco, who really cares? I tried the carne enchilada (spicy pork), and Emile tried al pastor (also pork, roasted with pineapple and other sauces). My 3 tacos, for a mere $4.50, were delicious. Our waitress provided us with three types of salsa: red (spicy), green (not as spicy), and a creamy but light guacamole. The tacos, on small corn shells, come with meat, onion, and cilantro and the customary plate of limes and radishes. The rest is up to you. The meat was delicious and moist, and I found my hands stained with spicy red grease after wolfing down my tacos like a lady. The meat is more seasoned and a bit more spicy than other Sunset Park taco joints, even my beloved Tacos Matamoros. I highly recommend taking the tacos with a dash of the red salsa and the guacamole: tangy, limey, spicy heaven awaits.

Outdoor seating available, kind of.

Rico's Tacos
51st St (just above 5th Ave)
Sunset Park, Brooklyn
Cash only

No comments:

Post a Comment