Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Gratitude 2.7, 2.8, 2.9

Brainstorming ways to fit this practice into my daily routine these days, which isn't really a routine at all, it's a toddler-driven frenzy.

May 25, 2020 | 2.7
R & I agreed to try to eat clean this week: no alcohol, no cheese, no bread & carbs. It's miserable but look, I'm closing in on 40, and drastic times call for drastic measures. 

I made it! I'm proud of that. 

I also had a great call with one of my former students, asking for advice about applying for a Fulbright. I am grateful that I can offer him some pointers, and am excited to see where his life takes him!

May 26, 2020 | 2.8
Well I made it through the cleanse eating-wise but I did have a glass of wine this night...

For Tuesday, I'm grateful that I had an hour to work on a new paper, one that is in the very early stages, about connections between the UAE and South Asia. It was an important reminder that this phase of life will pass, like the other awkward ones before it, and break open  into something new...there will be things to enjoy going forward: new things to research, new people to interview, new shows to study, new work to teach, new work to write. 

May 27, 2020 | 2.9 
Today I was outside a lot, and I am so grateful for every second of sunshine. Sometimes I feel like I'm just trying to get back to what I had when I was 30, a little house in southern California with a citrus tree. I miss the sunshine. The sunshine is really good for me, and part of why Dubai felt so much like home, pretty quickly. 



J & I took a walk to Blue State this am for coffee now that they're open again (a second gratitude) and then played in the backyard before his nap. After his nap, we spent about two hours splashing around in the inflatable pool. It was beautiful. 

J leads the way!


A third gratitude, I got to Zoom with Moza, Ali & Hadeyeh, and I'm so thankful for the incredible humans I met while conducting field research. 

No comments:

Post a Comment