Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Tunisia #2: New adventures.... (10/16/07)

 
 **Part of my catching up on old travelogues...slightly edited from original email version to protect identities of individuals. Anthropological convention...

My enthusiasm was dampened a bit after a joyous late morning walk to have breakfast at the cafes alongside the Avenue Bourguiba - a man came up from behind my table, took my digital camera off it, and ran away (luckily I still have my Getty-owned work camera, so I was able to document my trip some).  I saw this fat hairy arm come over my shoulder, and before I knew it, his chubby ass had made off with my birthday present!  It is the first time I have ever been robbed in my life - never robbed anywhere in Europe, Russia, Turkey or Southeast Asia, so I guess it was my turn to buy some good karma.  The biggest loss is the pictures I hadn't yet added to my computer.  I hope some Tunisian kids eat well this month.
 
Then I made some new friends.  Two "gentlemen," Bechir & Ali, came to sit with me and chatted me up at the cafe as I waited for the commissariat de police to arrive to take my statement.  They seemed nice, so I figured, why not?  I can either pick them up now, or I can be hassled all day.  So I took my chances, and while I was taken to Ali's leather shop and shown around, on the whole they were tremendously respectful and showed me all around the medina.  We discussed politics, immigration, the educational and work systems in our countries...it was a very pleasant afternoon, which I needed after the rough wake-up call.
Bechir & Ali, Tunisian hosts/guides
 
I made it back to the hotel to meet Jeff & Francoise for dinner, after having some help from Bechir & Ali in picking out some Tunisian CDs.  (One has a video component, score!  They were 1,500TND.  That's 75 cents).  We ate at a place in the medina, Chez Nous, and headed back to the hotel to crash before meeting with our Tunisian counterpart this morning.  We showed up at her office, which is in an old palace in the medina, and it's gorgeous Islamic courtyard architecture, tiles everywhere, skylights in the domed central courtyard, walls covered with books and tapestries...I didn't talk much in the meeting, but it was an interesting power play of cultures and institutions (the director of the institute asked me if I understood French, after I had failed to laugh as heartily as he would have apparently liked, at his lame joke...no buddy I got it.  I got all of it.  It wasn't funny).  I thought to myself, I could easily work here because the office alone is beautiful.  Then...and then we saw Liliane's house when we picked her up for lunch. 
 
Liliane, a Frenchwoman, is our translator, and is married to a Tunisian dramatist.  They bought a house in the medina - huge carved doors, like you see on postcards, open into 30-ft hallways (I'm prone to exaggeration, and I'm not this time!) filled with books, mirrors, paintings, Arabic calligraphy...her home is arranged around a central courtyard filled with herbs, and plants, and cats...she handpainted all the decorations, according to accounts of what the house had originally been like, and restored the mosque on one end, and has yet to tackle the HAFSID (11th century) wooden walls on the north side of the house.  It is amazingly beautiful - the hard work of restoring an 11th century home shows! 
 
 
Liliane led us through the winding cobblestoned streets of the medina, past the Zeytouna mosque and down into a corridor with occasional skylights passing blotches of light into the small souqs lining it.  She turned suddenly, into a small alcove, and we sat down at the table that barely fit in the alcove, to order some salade mechoui and "the best lamb in the medina."  She was right, it was delicious!
 
After gorging, it was time to head down to Mahdia.  Our little Megane could barely handle all the bags and boxes and tubes of junk, but somehow we made it fit and zoomed out of Tunis on the only freeway in the country (2 lanes each way - it makes Santa Monica blvd look like the 405).  And then...then the highway stops just after Sousse.  And you go village by village, through the only paved road, past goats and butcher shops and small souqs and pedestrians dodging traffic and waiting for the bus.  Somewhere along the way the sky turned sour, and then the sky dumped down buckets of rain, that quickly drowned the flat road.  Soon we were plunging through puddles in the little Megane, trying not to spray pedestrians, but to no avail.  Several puddles later, we arrived at our hotel in Mahdia...much to our dismay.  It's pretty much the Tunisian version of a Sandals resort - huge and gaudy and filled with chubby Germans and Russians taking the cure. Jeff commented, as we waited in the reception, that it looks like one of Saddam's palaces...and it kind of does.  There are two swimming pools, 3 bars, a spa....and lots of native Tunisians forced into horrid condescending outfits.  All of us were ready to find a new hotel, pretty much as soon as we pulled up...but alas...
 
Anyway.  Tomorrow we drive into El Jem with Ahmad, our Tunisian partner, and begin the planning, in detail, for the workshop, and I meet with the hotel manager.  Exciting, la vie tunisienne.

No comments:

Post a Comment