Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Southeast Asia #4: The tale of the dragon's tail and his path to the sea (4/11/08)

On Monday the 24th, we headed to the Pakse airport as a group.  We paid our hefty excess baggage fees, and boarded the tiny plane packed with plastic bags and fidgety passengers.  Upon our arrival in Vientiane, we stored our myriad bags and took advantage of Lao Aviation's policy of not checking you through on multi-leg journeys to head into Vientiane Center.  Now, it may seem silly, but we found an Italian restaurant...we should have eaten at someplace Lao, but after 3 weeks of rural Laotian food, we were all craving dairy and pasta and real salad.  So we opted instead to be really touristy.
 
Wat Sisaket



Afterwards, Kecia and I walked the few blocks to Wat Sisaket, a beautiful temple built out of wood in the 18th century.  Looking at it, you'd never believe the temple is that young - it is incredibly striking and looks very old.  You could see, too, the shift as we went farther north - the wat became more Chinese, more Mongolian.  We returned to the airport soon after, and then continued on to Bangkok.
 
The next morning, I headed out to the airport, and caught my flight to Hanoi.  Upon landing in Hanoi, the sky was grey, and the ground green - I was moving away from the equator.  Noibai is quite a ways from Hanoi, so the ride took a while.  By the time I got to my hotel, it was already 2p, and I called one of our participants, Cuong, to let him know I had arrived.  At the workshop, when I told the Vietnamese that I was coming to Hanoi, they immediately started planning my visit.  Cuong, whose English was strongest, was nominated to be the tour guide.  So, sure enough, he showed up at my hotel on his moped and we departed in a taxi (it's a status thing) to visit the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum.  Yeah, commie dictators like to be embalmed, so one can actually visit Bac Ho (Uncle Ho) in the flesh.  I tried to deter Cuong, but to no avail.  Luckily, when we arrived, the mausoleum was closed for the afternoon for some random Vietnamese bureaucratic reason, so I was spared the viewing.  However, Cuong informed me that I must come back to Vietnam to see Uncle Ho, and perhaps worrying that I did not have a great enough appreciation for Uncle Ho, promptly ordered us a tour guide for the Presidential Palace.  It was odd to listen to the tour guide's canned speech about how humble Uncle Ho was, how he loved children (but was never blessed with his own), listening to the radio, and tuberoses with such reverence.  At one point, the tour guide said something about Uncle Ho and the enemy and then corrected his speech, apologizing if he had offended me as an American. 
 
After the failed mausoleum visit (thankfully), Cuong took me to the Temple of Literature, which turned out to be one of my favorite places in the entire world.  And yes, I realize how nerdy that is.  The Temple of Literature is a Chinese-style series of pagodas, and was built centuries ago by Vietnamese kings to honor learning and wisdom (what a novel concept for a culture to appreciate!).  In the 1400s, one of the kings decided that the names of talented and wise men should live on, so he inscribed the names of those who earned PhDs on stone stelae, carried on the backs of tortoises, which are symbols of longevity in Vietnam.  Some 1300 men passed the exams, and are immortalized in stone in the temple.  The Temple of Literature is also the site of the first university in Hanoi, although it was later moved.  Students come to the temple to pray for good luck on tests, and new grads swarm the courtyards after graduation ceremonies, coming to be photographed and thank Buddha for success.  It is also a beautiful place, and quiet - Hanoi's streets are filled with mopeds that honk continuously, so any peace is appreciated.
 
 
Cuong also provided some interesting tidbits on Vietnam during our day's stroll.  I noted that all the moped drivers were wearing helmets (not so in Laos) and he informed me that a law enforcing helmet use was enacted this past December.  And the people are obedient.  Even when it comes to regulating the number of children each family has - by law, families are allowed only two children.  According to Cuong, if you have more children than 2, it will be very difficult for you in your career.  He added that rural families often had more, but for those who worked in the city in this communist country, you can really only have 2 or you'll never be promoted - you'll be a "bad" party member in a country where your status with the party determines your future.
 
The Old Quarter of Hanoi is really picturesque and bustling, with "tube houses."  There used to be a law calculating property tax by the width of your storefront - so storeowners would make their storefronts 2 ft wide - and then the store would continue far into the back of the building.  So, there are many many houses that are short in width but very deep, a vestige of this colonial law.
I was enjoying Hanoi, and delighted in the delicious and authentic Vietnamese food at dinner with Cuong and Phu Lam, but Wednesday morning's bus ride to Halong Bay was calling.  I had been harboring dreams of Halong for months now, and my bus was leaving early.  I bid my friends goodnight, and returned to my hotel to again stuff souvenirs into any perceived cranny in my bulging luggage.  
 
I met up with the tour company, Handspan, the next morning, and waited eagerly in the Tamarind Cafe to depart (btw, if you ever make it to Hanoi, the Tamarind Cafe is amazingly good.  Do it!)  We boarded our little bus, my junkmates and I, and hit the highway (term loosely applied) to Haiphong and Halong City.  Having finished the books I brought from the US (list below), I jumped into the pirated copy of Sex Slaves by Louise Brown that I bought in Hanoi off a street vendor for $2.  It is a disturbing but informational book about the trafficking of women in Asia - one that shifts your understanding of the situation dramatically, and I grew absorbed (absorbed can be translated here as angry/frustrated/livid/enraged) very quickly and lost track of time.  Before I knew it, we had travelled the four hours' distance and we unloaded at the Halong Bay dock, which was frothy with tourists.  
 
We pushed through the different groups to descend into a small motorboat, which took our group out to the junk.  It was lovely, the tiny cabin and tiny bathroom and all in wood with carved dragons, and peaceful - no moped horns.  It was cool, and for the first time in a month, I found myself hunting for that one sweater I had brought.  Sitting on the top deck, my fellow passengers and I stared at the karsts as we sailed out - it is by far one of the most exquisite and beautiful places on the planet.  There are no words.  There were 11 of us on the boat: 5 in an Australian family that kept to themselves, and then a couple from Singapore, and a Swiss couple, and then an Englishman, and me.  Our junk was pretty relaxed - they were a nice group of people, particularly Tristan, the Englishman, and Christian and Alex, the Swiss couple.  We stayed up late drinking bad Vietnamese wine and discussing American politics in French - a lot of "merde" and "je comprends pas. je comprends absoluement pas."  It is reassuring to meet people like you when you travel - but then again, it's people with my interests who would show up on a boat in Vietnam that I found as well, so it's perhaps not surprising, but it was reassuring and comforting to meet people I will in all likelihood never see again but to share an evening of laughter, wine, frustration, and ultimately, understanding and connection.  
 
After a month of being misunderstood in Laos and struggling to communicate, it was refreshing, although the feeling wasn't to last long.  When I asked our tour guide Son how the karsts were formed, I expected some kind of scientific answer, like ...oh say rain and erosion combined with humidity.  Son told me that an ancient king was fighting a dragon and as he defeated the dragon, the dragon fell down out of the mountains in northern Vietnam and as he hurtled towards the sea, he swung his tail about in flailing arcs.  The earth he dislodged stayed put.  And so, the dragon's tail formed the 4000 majestic islands that are Halong Bay.


Upon my return from my two days in Halong, I spent my final night in Hanoi and Asia before my long flights back to Los Angeles.  Cuong took me to the water puppet show, which was incredible, but a bit touristy.  It was an amazing experience though - actors hold water puppets on long sticks behind a curtain, and then the puppets come out up through a little lake and "perform" in front of the curtain.  The show included really lifelike fish frolicking, and princesses dancing in unison, and a dragon with fireworks in his mouth.  It was incredible.  I was delighted, but tried not to chortle like a child like I wanted to for Cuong's sake!
 
It was good to come back to LA - I love it here.  As I reflect back on what my trip meant to me, how I grew from it, how I will carry it with me...I cannot help but feel my heart ache for the dusty jungle roads, and I yearn for the simplicity of my rural Laotian life.  LA is amazing, it is so beautiful - the sky is so wide and stretches on to forever, so freeing in its vast expanse of perfect blue, and the hills in their wealth and clarity on the horizon...but it was also beautiful to be away from everything, to be anonymous and mysterious for once, to have a simple life uncomplicated by gyms and iPods and timesheets and commutes.  In my mind's eye, when I am boiling over with stress, I imagine the hard red dirt of Laos under my sandals, and the scent of mangos and the broad swath of the Mekong slowly moving towards the south, to the sea, as we are all called - or the dreamlike karsts of Halong covered in their lush and emerald foliage, dropping steeply into the pure turquoise-green waters.  Tennyson was right and said it best:
 
I am a part of all that I have met;
Yet all experience is an arch wherethro'
Gleams that untravell'd world, whose margin fades
For ever and for ever when I move.
 
And move I must, to a new margin, which will always gleam in my pilgrim's eyes.  So, cheers to the journey - thankfully, it never ends, it just turns another corner.
 
Reading List:
Give Me the World by Leila Hadley
Sex Slaves by Louise Brown
When Heaven & Earth Changed Places by Le Ly Hayslip
Foreign Devils on the Chinese Silk Road by Peter Hopkirk

No comments:

Post a Comment