Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Day 141: Life Attracts Life

Desert night
photo by flikr user Capital I

from Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist

The following night, the boy appeared at the alchemist's tent with a horse. The alchemist was ready, and he mounted his own steed and placed the falcon on his left shoulder. He said to the boy, "Show me where there is life out in the desert. Only those who can see such signs of life are able to find treasure."
They began to ride out over the sands, with the moon lighting their way. I don't know if I'll be able to find life in the desert, the boy thought. I don't know the desert that well yet.
He wanted to say so to the alchemist, but he was afraid of the man. They reached the rocky place where the boy had seen the hawks in the sky, but now there was only silence and the wind.
"I don't know how to find life in the desert," the boy said. "I know that there is life here, but I don't know where to look."
"Life attracts life," the alchemist answered.
And then the boy understood. He loosened the reins...


I am grateful for finding life, for loosening the reins, and for the life - and light - that attracts life, bringing people together, for the emotional alchemy of turning nothing into something beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment