Search This Blog

Friday, July 26, 2013

The Last Weekend

Manarat al Saadiyat by night
This is my job: going to art exhibitions, going to talks about minarets (for real), and hitting up an affordable art sale (and no, I didn't bring anything home). Not bad, all in all.

Did you know minarets existed before Islam, and served a general announcement function - often doubling as lighthouses for coastal cities?

Ramadan Cultural Talks: on Minarets at Manarat
Affordable Art Sale at Abu Dhabi Art Hub
I recognize that I don't really have any right to complain about my job, especially not right now (talk to me again in winter, and I will have grounds for copious complaints)...but I'm so excited to go home in three days. It's been a long trip, and not all of it easy or comfortable. This weekend, I'm giving a talk at Art Hub, checking out some galleries and museums in Dubai and Sharjah, and visiting two friends before heading to the airport late Monday evening. Hopefully all these fun things will make the time fly by!

No comments:

Post a Comment