Search This Blog

Friday, August 6, 2010

Experiments in Cooking: Making Pickles

Between my organically grown cucumbers from upstate, courtesy of my boss donating her CSA to me while she's in France for the summer, and the Mediterranean cucumbers I usually gorge on from 3 Guys, I found myself with lots of extra beloved cucumbers. My ability to consume them couldn't keep up, and their once-crispy skins were starting to wrinkle, their crunch diminishing.

Rather than toss them, I thought I'd take the opportunity to experiment and make pickles of them. I've never converted cucumbers into pickles myself, but I've been wanting to try. So I found a recipe on Old Faithful (Real Simple): dill pickles! I used regular instead of sweet onions, and dill rather than dill seed. Following the recipe didn't yield enough liquid to cover the cucumbers in the Ball jar, so I added some water to bring the liquid over the cucumbers.

It took about 4 days for them to marinate fully. Delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment